Search This Blog

Thursday 12 September 2013

Japan: 5 days in

It has been quite a hectic few days in Japanland. I have never been so happy to have CGM. This one so far is holding up extremely well and has been nearly always bang-on with its readings, to the point where I have felt comfortable giving my fingers a little break and testing only at wake-up and before bed unless my CGM says I'm close to hypo, & I'll test then to confirm.

D has NOT been behaving itself so I am running my sugars higher at between 10 - 14. If I take insulin with a meal I will be low at 1 hour post meal but if I don't take it I reach about 15. Tokyo is extremely hot and if you add a BGL of 15 to the humidity it makes for extreme tiredness that makes travel hard. So we have settled on a routine of no insulin for breakfast, 1 to 2 units for lunch depending on car content and about 2 u for dinner.

Basal wise I am pretty much on suspend from the moment I wake up until we are back at the hotel at night - suspended for about 12 hours a day. I have discovered that I also need to do a temp basal at night. I'm not sure of the rate yet as I am still waking up with hypos (which has never been an issue before) at about 3 - 4am and then again from 6 - 8am. I'm quite thankful for the CGM for this, as normally at night I silence it because of pressure problems, but surprisingly it hasn't had these this time - must have picked a good spot. I don't feel hypo at all when I wake so smiles all around for CGM just rescuing my butt 2 times a night.

Total insulin usage has dropped from 40u a day to about 15.

At home I tend to be a bit* fixated on getting good numbers, but right now I just want to enjoy my holiday without D getting in the way. If I have higher BGLs for 3 weeks then I have higher BGLs for 3 weeks.

To sum up with a positive note about D in Japan: I bought this ultra-deliciously cute case to use as a day kit when I get back to Aus:


Its inspirational as well. My fave is 'Take it easy, I can assure you everything will turn out fine'. Ahhhh happy bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment