Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Happy 2 Year Diaversary.

When I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on a Friday afternoon I was put in hospital overnight and told that I would be there all weekend because there were no diabetes educators available until Monday. I was supposed to go to a friend's baby's 1st birthday on Saturday and regretfully had to cancel. Mostly because they wouldn't let me out of hospital until someone became available who could show me the correct way to poke myself in the stomach with sharp, pointy objects.

That person never materialized and I was released into the wild with 5 pens of NovoRapid and 5 pens of Lantus and no idea how to use them, or anything to do the actual poking with. Thankfully my endo appeared in the wild non-diabetic outside world and heaped upon me many many needles with which to cause myself pain. Lantus burn, anyone?

So every year I get an invitation to a birthday party for a small child I have met a handful of times. And I always wonder why it is that, mixed in with the excitement of being able to go to K-Mart and hang out legit in the toy department while I shop for presents, I feel dread when the invitation arrives in my mailbox.

Vaguely, in the back of my mind, I know it means my diaversary is coming up. I don't know why this causes a black, tangled ball of dread to knot in my stomach. Perhaps its because I feel that with every passing year of having diabetes, I am closer to complications. The doctors tell you that a good HbA1c will help to prevent complications, but that's all it can do. Help. There is zero guarantee that I will never develop complications, and the longer you have diabetes, the more time to develop complications in. But that's a downer. I hope that as the years pass, I will be able to watch this beautiful little girl grow up, and not associate it with a reminder of the 1st time I laid a lancet to my index finger. This year, I distracted myself by eating a Tardis Cake which stained my mouth blue for the rest of the day. Pretty awesome stuff. And a good thing to associate this time of year with.

Does anyone else have diaversary reminders?



Happy Birthday Sweetie. And Happy 2 year diaversary to me - starting it with a BGL of 4.5. :)



27 - 03 - 2012





No comments:

Post a Comment