Search This Blog

Thursday 16 April 2015

Diabetes Wedding Prep

There's a countdown in my diary. 17 days to go. With 17 days to go I visited my educator to kick my diabetes into gear for the big day. I certainly don't want to be nursing highs or lows on my wedding day.

When my H2B & I started planning our wedding, we knew we had to consider how Morty (my diabetes) would react to certain elements of our wedding. We knew he would insist that he was included in the big day...he's kind of the page boy we never wanted. I wouldn't doubt that he'll somehow cause our wedding rings to mysteriously disappear.

Our wedding date, whilst it seems like a random draw date wise, was actually carefully planned. Morty doesn't like it when the weather is hot. He gives me hypos. Morty doesn't like it when the weather is cold. Morty demands the weather be juuuust right. Oddly, Diabetes was actually a help because as it turns out, if we had had a summer wedding I would have had to get a different, less suffocating dress. And I rather like my suffocating dress.

When discussing our ceremony time with my DE, she recognised a sudden drop that I get most afternoons. This sudden BGL drop just so happens to coincide with my ceremony time. So we've cut back my basal around this time and I'll be happy to run just a little bit higher than normal (between 6 - 10 will be my goal) for the afternoon.

In order to allow me to forget Morty as much as possible on the big day, H2B  & I basically used our menu tasting as a diabetes test run. We counted carbs and insulin given and BGL reaction for everything we ate so I don't have to do it again come our wedding day. Now I just have to dig that information back up...

As a diabetic bride to be, I have added a few extra things to my list of things to keep with me when getting ready - "Poppers with staws" Check. Straws a definite so I don't ruin my lipstick during a hypo. "Finger wipes" Check. One of my biggest fears about the wedding day is that I will accidentally wipe my bloody fingers on my dress after testing. I've had nightmares over it.

Then comes the part where I divvy up my needed items between the groom and father of the bride. Both of them will be carrying 1 testing kit and 1 hypo treatment in their suit jackets each. I am having a pocket sewn into the very bottom of my dress to house my pump in, but theres no room for Jellybeans or a testing kit. My dress is so form fitting I can't bend over to reach the pocket anyway. I've scheduled a time with my Bridesmaids to give them a crash course in bolusing off my pump - because they will be the only ones who can reach it.

But probably the weirdest thing I have had to consider in accommodating diabetes into my wedding day is actually the effect it has on my drivers licence. Every year I get my medical certificate renewed for driving at the end of April. So at the end of April the government is insisting on wasting the taxpayers funds to print me a new licence which will be valid for all of 4 days before I have to go through the whole licence process again for my name change. I called and explained and asked for an extension. Nope, none granted.

Being a diabetic bride certainly has its challenges, with just that extra 20% of planning to make sure the big day goes as smoothly as possible. But I'm super excited - I've done the prep to make sure I can have as much of a diabetes-free-day as possible. Plus I made a super cute wedding skin for my pump, so that's exciting. And yes, you can see pictures, after the wedding.



_________________________________________________________________________________

Today's Reason Why I am Hypo:

I felt cold so I took a warm shower. The most annoying part was that I felt the hypo symptoms when I had only managed to shave one leg. I guess I'll have to take another shower later so I can shave the other leg. Until then, I guess deforestation is only half complete.







No comments:

Post a Comment